[arch-general] regression in nouveau ?

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Mon May 24 17:00:37 EDT 2010

Hello all,

over the past few months I have installed Arch on a number of
systems, all of them used for quite intensive audio work (think
of systems with > 1000 jack ports). All of them have worked
flawlessly, no latency problems even with the standard kernel.

Today I installed one more, on exactly the same HW as the
previous one which was something like 6 weeks ago. Main
difference is probably kernel 2.6.33 instead of 32.

This system is completely unusable: almost anything 'graphical'
- opening or closing windows, changing workspaces, etc. will
generate showers of xruns.

Using nouveau's 'no_accel' option solves the xruns, audio is
as stable as it has ever been. But the system is again useless -
just scrolling an xterm up one line takes a second or so. Nor
has using this option been necessary before (all of the previous
installs use nouveau).

So has anything changed in nouveau that can explain this ?
Any solutions ?

TIA,

--
FA