[arch-general] regression in nouveau ?

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Mon May 24 17:42:54 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:00 PM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> over the past few months I have installed Arch on a number of
> systems, all of them used for quite intensive audio work (think
> of systems with > 1000 jack ports). All of them have worked
> flawlessly, no latency problems even with the standard kernel.
>
> Today I installed one more, on exactly the same HW as the
> previous one which was something like 6 weeks ago. Main
> difference is probably kernel 2.6.33 instead of 32.
>
> This system is completely unusable: almost anything 'graphical'
> - opening or closing windows, changing workspaces, etc. will
> generate showers of xruns.
>
> Using nouveau's 'no_accel' option solves the xruns, audio is
> as stable as it has ever been. But the system is again useless -
> just scrolling an xterm up one line takes a second or so. Nor
> has using this option been necessary before (all of the previous
> installs use nouveau).
>
> So has anything changed in nouveau that can explain this ?
> Any solutions ?

Never heard of similar regression before.
Can you try using
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=kernel26-nouveau-git
and
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=xf86-video-nouveau-git
?

If you still have the same problems with git, you should ask upstream
(irc freenode #nouveau or ML
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/nouveau)
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FrontPage
But it would help to have as much precision as possible about what is
the latest version of each nouveau component that worked, and what is
the first that is bad, i.e. minimizing the regression window.

Also note the first item about latency on this page :
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/ToDo