[arch-general] regression in nouveau ?

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Tue May 25 18:32:22 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:42:54PM +0200, Xavier Chantry wrote:

> Never heard of similar regression before.
> Can you try using
> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=kernel26-nouveau-git
> and
> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=xf86-video-nouveau-git
> ?

Would that be possible at all, given

  24.3.2010 posted by xavier
  Merge of 2.6.34-rc2.
  On Monday, nouveau git tree went straight from 2.6.32 to 2.6.34-rc2.
  One backlight API change in 2.6.34-rc2 breaks compatibility with older
  kernels (< 2.6.34-rc2), so people doing out-of-tree builds will have to
  update their kernel to rc2. Alternatively, you could try to revert the
  backlight commit.

The last thing I want is to get entangled in a recursive
'update to the latest' game.

I tried the inverse today - downgrading nouveau to the version
used on the machines that do work. Same problem, the older
version wants a kernel < 2.6.33, and gods knows where things
will end if I go that route.

This is not about hacking and having fun with bleeding edge
versions. Apart from the machine that doesn't work (and I
don't expect anything more than what all distros since a
year or two have been able to provide OOTB), there's 9000
Euro of audio hardware sitting idle.

I don't mind having to tweak things, do a lot of configuration
manually, etc. etc., but I do expect things to work when they
go into core/extra, or at least have a fallback available.
There is none, AFAICS.

Ciao,

--

FA