[arch-general] A question about Arch Sixty Four

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Tue May 25 03:20:22 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 17:05 +0200, Nicky726 wrote:

> I have experimentally found out, that 64 bit Linux distro uses like 40 -- 80 %
> more of RAM than 32 bit. Now it seemed to be both aplication and distro
> dependant, with Arch being on the better side. Though I've got to say again, it
> was not a benchmark, just my personal experiment.
>
> As for me, if I had a machine with plenty RAM (that is from my perspective
> ~GB), than I would choose 64 bit. If I had like 1 -- 2 GB, than I would
> definitely go 32 bit.
>
> Hope I did understand your question right.

Depending on the software you run, programs can take more memory due to
larger integers and pointer sizes. If memory usage is a problem, go for
a 64bit kernel with 32bit userland. Memory allocation above 896MB is
much more efficient on 64bit kernels because you don't have to use the
"highmem" method to access that.