[arch-general] new pc; keep arch installation?

Figue ffigue at gmail.com
Tue May 25 10:07:01 EDT 2010

El 25/05/10 15:46, Vincent Schut escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to get a new pc, replacing my now more than 5 years old pc.
> I would like to keep my current arch installation, and hope to prevent
> the need to do a full reinstall. I like the software I have, and I
> like the configuration I have...
>
> Could I just put my old harddisk (which is relatively new and still
> OK, I have SMART enabled) in the new pc and reboot?
>
> Both are amd 64 bit cpu's, the old one one of the first athlon 64's,
> the new one a Phenom II X6 1035T (and my current arch linux install is
> 64bit)
>
> Of course stuff like chipset, network chip, video etc. are all
> different. For video that would be no problem, I could install other
> (current = nvidia, new pc = ati) drivers from the text console.
> However, I'd like basic stuff and network to work :-)
>
> Could anyone give me an idea about the chance of luck for such an
> operation? Tips, hints? Or would you just advise a clean install and
> install and reconfigure all software again?
>
> Regards,
> Vincent Schut.

Yes you can.

Connect the hd but boot with a livecd (like Archiso), then mount proc,
sys and dev and make a chroot on your partition (for example into
/mnt/hd), something like this:

mkdir /mnt/hd
cd /mnt/hd
mount -t proc proc proc/
mount -t sysfs sys sys/
mount -o bind /dev dev/
chroot /mnt/hd

Then reinstall kernel26 package or regenerate mkinitcpio image ;)

Make sure in /etc/rc.conf have the correct modules and in /etc/fstab all
entries are correct.

Regards

$(Figue)