[arch-general] regression in nouveau ?

Tavian Barnes tavianator at gmail.com
Tue May 25 19:33:36 EDT 2010

On 25 May 2010 16:32,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:42:54PM +0200, Xavier Chantry wrote:
>
>> Never heard of similar regression before.
>> Can you try using
>> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=kernel26-nouveau-git
>> and
>> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=xf86-video-nouveau-git
>> ?
>
> Would that be possible at all, given
>
>  24.3.2010 posted by xavier
>  Merge of 2.6.34-rc2.
>  On Monday, nouveau git tree went straight from 2.6.32 to 2.6.34-rc2.
>  One backlight API change in 2.6.34-rc2 breaks compatibility with older
>  kernels (< 2.6.34-rc2), so people doing out-of-tree builds will have to
>  update their kernel to rc2. Alternatively, you could try to revert the
>  backlight commit.
>
> The last thing I want is to get entangled in a recursive
> 'update to the latest' game.

Um, one of the packages he suggested you build is a GIT kernel with
nouveau merged in, which will work fine.

> I tried the inverse today - downgrading nouveau to the version
> used on the machines that do work. Same problem, the older
> version wants a kernel < 2.6.33, and gods knows where things
> will end if I go that route.
>
> This is not about hacking and having fun with bleeding edge
> versions. Apart from the machine that doesn't work (and I
> don't expect anything more than what all distros since a
> year or two have been able to provide OOTB), there's 9000
> Euro of audio hardware sitting idle.
>
> I don't mind having to tweak things, do a lot of configuration
> manually, etc. etc., but I do expect things to work when they
> go into core/extra, or at least have a fallback available.
> There is none, AFAICS.

The binary nvidia driver?

Also, I seriously doubt that the devs would have let this go to extra
if they personally experienced this problem.  And, nouveau is still in
development, so you get what you sign up for, to some extent.

--
Tavian Barnes