[arch-general] Burning From Command Line

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Wed May 26 08:37:17 EDT 2010

Am Wed, 26 May 2010 13:35:55 +0200
schrieb Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling):

> Well, the license of the original software has been verified by Sun
> lawyers. People who are interested in more information may ask e.g.
> Simon Phipps and everybody can easily check that Solaris ships with
> halfway recent original software. I am sure that Solaris will switch
> soon to cdrtools-3.0 once it has been published next week.
>
> Just to make clear how picky license violations are handled with
> Solaris, check that "libcdio" has been removed from Solaris
> distributions in 2007 because of the license violations in libcdio
> that have been found by Sun lawyers in the Sun legal department. Do
> you know of a single Linux distro that dropped libcdio because of the
> obvious licence violations in libcdio?
>
> Why does e.g. Debian still ship libcdio? Every unbiased person should
> have no problem to understand that what Debian did was just a slander
> campaign against an OpenSource project.
>
> Jörg

Jörg, why don't you just change the license of your cdrtools to a
licensing scheme - either change every part of it to the GPL, set it
under a dual license or whatever - which is indisputable and doubtless
instead of arguing with the distributors all the time over years?

It's really annoying to always read your nonsense regarding the
licensing.

If a distributor, if many distributors tell you that they have a
problem with your licensing, and you want them to ship your package
instead of cdrkit, then change your license so that every doubt is
removed. Or pay a lawyer, who will publish his assessment, to prove
that there are no legal issues with your licenses. Otherwise keep your
licenses, accept that the distributors don't ship your cdrtools in their
official repositories and stop arguing and discussing. It's just up to
you, not to any distributors or lawyers.

It's really annoying, to always read the same.

I doubt, btw., that arguing persistently with the distributors and
package maintainers will win them over and encourage them to include
your software to their official repositories.

If you have a problem with Debian and/or the cdrkit developers, discuss
it with them directly, but not on mailing lists or forums which are not
related to both. Or go to court and sue them. Then you will get the
proof, which licensing model and which software fork is legal and which
is not. And this proof will automatically be made public.

As I said before, it's just up to you. It's your software, you want it
to be included into the distributions' official repositories. So build
and license it in a way, that the distributors and package maintainers
don't have any doubt, or proof - not claim -  them publicly that there
are no legal issues with your licenses.

And, btw., there is a cdrtools package in AUR. So every Arch user who
wants to use it, can easily build and install it.

Heiko