[arch-general] regression in nouveau ?

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed May 26 16:50:43 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 09:22:15AM -0600, Tavian Barnes wrote:

> Yeah you can.  nv isn't a kernel module though, it's just an Xorg
> driver, still using UMS.  To use it,
>
> 1) Blacklist nouveau and nvidia
> 2) Install xf86-video-nv
> 3) Set Driver to "nv" in xorg.conf
>
> And, even if nv doesn't work for you, there's always xf86-video-vesa
> and xf86-video-fbdev.

Many thanks !

I did as you suggested. Booting the default image failed with
what looked like a very long backtrace and froze the machine.

But booting fallback worked, and after an mkinitcpio also the
default worked.

Result: rock-stable audio, and the display is a fast as it needs
to be.

Again many thanks, finally I can start using this system.

BTW, what is the official advantage of KMS ? Having RL 3
and ttys that do not depend on a video driver seems like
a good thing (TM) to me.

Ciao,

--
FA