[arch-general] regression in nouveau ?

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed May 26 17:01:34 EDT 2010

Excerpts from fons's message of 2010-05-26 22:50:43 +0200:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 09:22:15AM -0600, Tavian Barnes wrote:
>
> > Yeah you can.  nv isn't a kernel module though, it's just an Xorg
> > driver, still using UMS.  To use it,
> >
> > 1) Blacklist nouveau and nvidia
> > 2) Install xf86-video-nv
> > 3) Set Driver to "nv" in xorg.conf
> >
> > And, even if nv doesn't work for you, there's always xf86-video-vesa
> > and xf86-video-fbdev.
>
> Many thanks !
>
> I did as you suggested. Booting the default image failed with
> what looked like a very long backtrace and froze the machine.
>
> But booting fallback worked, and after an mkinitcpio also the
> default worked.
>
> Result: rock-stable audio, and the display is a fast as it needs
> to be.
>
> Again many thanks, finally I can start using this system.
>
> BTW, what is the official advantage of KMS ? Having RL 3
> and ttys that do not depend on a video driver seems like
> a good thing (TM) to me.
>

> Ciao,

Glad it works for you now.

KMS was advertised mainly with he following features:
- TTY in native resolution and hence nicer to look at
- shorter delay when switching from X to TTY
--

Regards,
Philipp

-----
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan