[arch-general] regression in nouveau ?

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Wed May 26 17:26:58 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:46 AM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:

> Looking at the xrun statistics in function of audio period size,
> it looks like current nouveau is blocking audio (either by dis-
> abling interrupts, or by locking a shared HW resource) for about
> 3-4 ms. *No* driver today should ever do that - it's really late
> 1990's performance.

As I said, there are some people who are willing to help in that area.
But without people like you reporting and testing, it's never going to
happen.
We need audio guys and graphics/drivers guys allocating some times to
work together and resolve the issues.

There was at least one nouveau developer trying to help out :
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/nouveau/2010-February/004981.html
But the reporter just disappeared.

I just talked to him on IRC #nouveau, here are some extracts :
23:01 < stillunknown> you need someone with the time and the itch to pursue this
23:02 < stillunknown> because the magic solution isn't going to drop
from the sky
23:02 < stillunknown> we can help, but that goes for anyone
23:07 < stillunknown> shining: my first guess is that we disable irq's
in a few code paths
23:14 < stillunknown> my guess is the irq disabling around fences,
since that is the only thing
                      that i suspect will trigger frequently when rendering
23:16 < stillunknown> makes me wonder why we disable irq's there
23:16 < stillunknown> mailinglist time :-)
23:18 < stillunknown> ah for nv04 i can understand, but for the rest not so much

If there is no one to test / experiment, I am afraid the situation
won't improve anytime soon.
And just a reminder that these people help/work for free in their
limited spare time :)