[arch-general] Converting to 64

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Fri May 28 19:15:53 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 20:33 +0530, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Hilton Medeiros
> <medeiros.hilton at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Arch's competent Linux users should know that there is no way to
> > magically convert i686 binaries to x86_64, right guys? I know you are
> > just joking. ;)
> >

> No I didn't know that really. If I'm an arch user should that imply
> that I know anything and everything about Linux LOL ?
> Its like, if you're a cook, then it implies that you can make any sort
> of food, be it american, european, asian, etc. ?!?!

No, if you're an arch user it implies you'd have already done some
searching and come across the threads about converting which explicitly
tell you that all binaries/libs (basically packages) need to be
reinstalled, and all you can keep are most of your configuration files.

And at 1 GB RAM it'll probably run slower. 64-bit binaries are larger in
memory than 32-bit (its not double the size, but they ARE bigger).
Depends on what exactly you run of course, once you start hitting swap
you'll need a cup of coffee to get anything done.