[arch-general] Compiling Firefox

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Mon May 31 00:30:02 EDT 2010

On 05/31/10 00:18, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> Nope. I have 24 addons in Firefox. Just cannot leave firefox.

:)

then a thought--

Do you use very many tabs or windows simultaneously?  If so, check
Firefox's RAM usage -- e.g. for me, firefox making my system slow is all
about it using up a large fraction of my RAM.  The only way to avoid
this, if it's an issue for you, is...
- Get more RAM
- use less tabs, or restart firefox every so often (this helps hugely..I
suppose this means that firefox has memory leaks or such), or maybe
avoid sites that slow down firefox (I think facebook is one of them)
- think about addons.  Some addons can make things worse.  On the other
hand, I bet Adblock Plus makes things better, because then the ads don't
have to fill up your computer's memory, and maybe NoScript too.

Optimizing the code won't help RAM usage at all!  GTK vs. QT might, but
likely they both have to be loaded into your RAM already for other
programs.  Just check a system monitor like 'top' and see whether
Firefox has lots of RAM usage, or CPU usage, or whatever you notice there.

-Isaac