[arch-general] Communication

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Mon May 31 05:56:02 EDT 2010

On 31 May 2010 14:11, Madhurya Kakati <mkakati2805 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists at itech7.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Isaac Dupree
>> <ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org> wrote:

>>> yes, Nilesh, you should try use the IRC channel, it's probably a better
>>> place to ask lots of questions without annoying people (with lots of little
>>> separate e-mails) as much.  And there tend to be people there who throw you
>>> various answers too!
>>>
>>> (It's a pity your bandwidth makes it hard for you to just try softwares...
>>> maybe some of your questions can be answered by Google-searching though?)
>>>
>>> -Isaac
>>>

>> I have used #archlinux many times, but the problem is it drags me. I
>> have projects to do and if I go to some IRC channel then I just don't
>> know when the time is over. So I normally avoid IRC.
>> Also its not the bandwidth issue, I have unlimited bandwidth. Its the
>> speed. I get a maximum transfer speed of 16 kilobytes per second !
>>
>> --
>> Nilesh Govindarajan
>> Facebook: nilesh.gr
>> Twitter: nileshgr
>> Website: www.itech7.com
>>

> Thats a pity. I get 256kBps but 2.5 gb limit :(

LOL, talk about speed. I feel ya!

I've been across and in-between Asia's developing nations since the
beginning of the year for a project, and so far India and China were
the least painful with regards to getting up and connected to the WWW.
Pakistan has unstable speeds, and so does Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan.
But now we have proper accomodation, and this place has a really great
256 ADSL connection that gets speeds like a 512. Not too bad, I just
need to imagine the year is 2003 =p

But yeah, it was sort of eye-opening for me since back home
(Singapore) I have a 12Mbps cable and 1Mbps HSDPA on-the-go. With
16KB/s I've met people who actually have gigabytes of downloaded
illegal content, so speed is not really a barrier for some.

The best you could do is take it slow. As in, download today, try,
download tomorrow, try :) Google is, of course, there for you anytime.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD