[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] db-5.1 rebuild

Jason Reardon aetherfly87 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 03:37:21 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 02/11/10 12:19, Jason Reardon wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Gaetan Bisson<bisson at archlinux.org>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>  [2010-11-01 19:26:31 +1000] Allan McRae:

>>> signoff i686
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gaetan
>>>

>> I installed db from testing. Now when I run `pacman -Qu --dbpath
>> /var/lib/pacman` I have one update as 'db 5.1.19-2' (which is currently
>> installed from testing). However, when I run `pacman -Su`, it wants to
>> install 'db 4.8.26-2'. When updating to the testing version, there's a
>> message: 'Consider running db-upgrade on Berkeley DB databases.' I'm not
>> at
>> all familiar with the db package, so I'm not too sure what to do with
>> this,
>> if this is what's causing the problem. Seemed kind of strange anyway, and
>> worth mentioning.
>>

> Testing is all or none.  You do not just install a single package from
> [testing] and then disable it unless you know what you are doing.
>
> Allan

I'm somewhat of a mailing list lurker. I've read before that one thing Arch
is lacking in are normal users testing packages. So, I wrote a script to
install packages from testing when someone asked for a sign-off, so that I
could give my input if needed. But, just for clarification, if I wish to
contribute in this manner, I need to run a machine solely from the testing
repos?

--
Jason