[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] db-5.1 rebuild

Matthew Monaco dgbaley27 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 2 03:42:14 CET 2010

On 11/01/2010 10:37 PM, Jason Reardon wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Allan McRae<allan at archlinux.org>  wrote:
>
>> On 02/11/10 12:19, Jason Reardon wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Gaetan Bisson<bisson at archlinux.org>
>>>   wrote:
>>>
>>>   [2010-11-01 19:26:31 +1000] Allan McRae:

>>> I installed db from testing. Now when I run `pacman -Qu --dbpath
>>> /var/lib/pacman` I have one update as 'db 5.1.19-2' (which is currently
>>> installed from testing). However, when I run `pacman -Su`, it wants to
>>> install 'db 4.8.26-2'. When updating to the testing version, there's a
>>> message: 'Consider running db-upgrade on Berkeley DB databases.' I'm not
>>> at
>>> all familiar with the db package, so I'm not too sure what to do with
>>> this,
>>> if this is what's causing the problem. Seemed kind of strange anyway, and
>>> worth mentioning.
>>>

>> Testing is all or none.  You do not just install a single package from
>> [testing] and then disable it unless you know what you are doing.
>>
>> Allan
>>

> I'm somewhat of a mailing list lurker. I've read before that one thing Arch
> is lacking in are normal users testing packages. So, I wrote a script to
> install packages from testing when someone asked for a sign-off, so that I
> could give my input if needed. But, just for clarification, if I wish to
> contribute in this manner, I need to run a machine solely from the testing
> repos?

You can get away with excluding groups of packages from testing, but I don't
think there's a good way to automate the process. I don't think there is any
real strong desire to do so either. (If there was, a solution might be to have
groups in testing which define packages in a related rebuild project like
texlive recently, xorg-server upgrade, lib* upgrade...)