[arch-general] [signoff] kernel 2.6.36-3

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Nov 4 00:42:20 CET 2010

On 11/03/2010 06:28 PM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> You don't seem to understand at all. There is NOTHING the dm-devel guys,
> we, or you for that matter can do about this. There is no problem with
> Linux accessing or activating your dmraid.
>
> If grub fails to access the partition properly, then your BIOS is
> broken, and you can only fix the problem by fixing your BIOS. If there
> is no update for the BIOS (and/or the dmraid BIOS), then you are simply
> screwed.
>
> Boot the kernel and initrd from a medium that is not part of the dmraid
> (like a flash drive) and you'll be fine.

Now that is what I didn't understand... If this is a BIOS issue, then we may
just be hosed. What always makes me wonder is why it works fine with some
kernels and not others. It isn't inconsistent with any 1 kernel. If a kernel-A
boots - then it boots every time. If the kernel-B hangs -- then kernel-B hangs
every time.

What I was exploring is "what the heck is the difference between kernel-A (that
works) and kernel-B (that fails)?" Some code is doing something that causes
this, but I haven't got a clue what code that is. I only see it when I change
kernels.

However, I don't rule out it just being a screwy bios. This box has worked with
SuSE 11.0-11.3 and with Arch beginning with 200809 and since. The boot issue
only began with 2.6.34X. That's the only reason I think it has to be something
that changed with the software, because the hardware has been consistent throughout.

I'll just relegate the box to using the kernels that work on it and quit
reporting the ones that work and ones that fail. I know that I don't know enough
to debug it further, so we will leave it here. If the dm-devel guys come up with
something, I'll pass that along.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC