[arch-general] [signoff] kernel 2.6.36-3

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Nov 4 00:50:39 CET 2010

Am 04.11.2010 00:42, schrieb David C. Rankin:
> Now that is what I didn't understand... If this is a BIOS issue, then we may
> just be hosed. What always makes me wonder is why it works fine with some
> kernels and not others. It isn't inconsistent with any 1 kernel. If a kernel-A
> boots - then it boots every time. If the kernel-B hangs -- then kernel-B hangs
> every time.

It probably depends on where the kernel is placed physically within the
hard drive. Your BIOS may fail to access certain areas. Generally, a
good idea is to have a small boot partition at the beginning of the
drive (at least for old BIOSen, but these problems should be gone for
over a decade).

You might also want to replace grub with a different bootloader to rule
out a grub bug.