[arch-general] [signoff] kernel 2.6.36-3

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Thu Nov 4 00:50:14 CET 2010

Norbert Zeh [2010.11.03 2043 -0300]:
> Thomas Bächler [2010.11.04 0028 +0100]:
> > Am 03.11.2010 23:23, schrieb David C. Rankin:
> > > 	As mentioned, I have the same boot failure with 2.6.36-3 (grub Error 24:)
> > > However, I have received the first bit of feedback from the dm-devel list.
> >
> > You don't seem to understand at all. There is NOTHING the dm-devel guys,
> > we, or you for that matter can do about this. There is no problem with
> > Linux accessing or activating your dmraid.
> >
> > If grub fails to access the partition properly, then your BIOS is
> > broken, and you can only fix the problem by fixing your BIOS. If there
> > is no update for the BIOS (and/or the dmraid BIOS), then you are simply
> > screwed.
>
> I don't know anything about the inner workings of grub, dmraid or the
> kernel.  However, what I don't understand about your explanation is
> that, according to David, the machine boots just fine under some kernels
> and not under others.  So, unless the error is intermittent (which it
> doesn't sound like) or there have been changes in how one of
> grub/dmraid/kernel interact with the BIOS, shouldn't he be seeing the
> same error also with 2.6.35-7?

Aah, it just hit me: the problem may in fact be fairly random in that it
may depend on where the initramfs is stored.  So, if the BIOS is broken,
you may be lucky to be able to boot under one kernel, and the next
upgrade places things in a place on disk where the BIOS bug kicks in,
and you're screwed.  So it has nothing to do with the kernel version,
grub or dmraid in this case.  Do I understand this correctly?

- Norbert