[arch-general] [signoff] kernel 2.6.36-3

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Thu Nov 4 04:03:21 CET 2010

Am Wed, 03 Nov 2010 20:57:35 -0500
schrieb "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com>:

> I think that is exactly the understanding I got from Thomas, and it
> makes an uncanny amount of sense. Though it doesn't have a 100%
> correlation, it does explain why just about ever-other kernel has
> exhibited this problem.
>
> I'll do a test. Right now I have 2.6.35-7 installed. I have upgraded
> to 2.6.35-8 (wouldn't boot), downgraded to 2.6.35-7 (worked),
> upgraded to 2.6.36-3 (wouldn't boot).
>
> So if this theory is correct, I should be able to start with 2.6.35-7
> (working), upgrade to 2.6.35-8 (expect failure), then upgrade
> directly to 2.6.36-3 and (expect success) -- even though a direct
> update from 2.6.35-7 to 2.6.36-3 originally resulted in failure.
>
> If this works I'll....

I guess there has been something changed in the kernel26 2.6.35.8 and
above which doesn't work with your BIOS or your RAID. Either this is a
bug in kernel26 2.6.35.8 and newer or it is not a bug but a new feature
or a change which doesn't work with your probably outdated BIOS.

I'd suggest asking kernel upstream by either filing a bug report at
kernel.org or asking on their mailing list.

It definitely must have something to do with the kernel. Otherwise it
wouldn't work again after a kernel downgrade.

Heiko