[arch-general] gnome-power-manager users - does pm-suspend run?

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 04:17:41 CET 2010

Hi all,

I don't actually recall when this started happening, but somewhere along
the line g-p-m started directly performing a suspend without going
through the pm-suspend script. I have some scripts in /etc/pm/sleep.d
that are run when I do 'sudo pm-suspend', but aren't run when I do a
suspend from g-p-m (for example pressing the 'suspend' button on my
laptop).

Searching our wiki, forums and the interwebz gives the following:-
1. Member of 'power' group - this is hal-related, in gnome 2.32 is it
still required? Regardly, starting /etc/rc.d/hal doesn't seem to help.
And I AM in the 'power' group anyway.
2. Check /var/log/pm-suspend.log - This just starts with 'Failed.'
without any explanation. It then shows the last four resume scripts
(01laptop-mode,01grub,00powersave,00logging) being executed
successfully. The next in line is 11netcfg, but disabling that doesn't
help anything.

Anything else that I've missed? I do have 'hibernate-script' installed,
but I don't think its even possible to get g-p-m to use it. The dbus
command in the wiki to run suspend has the same effect as g-p-m, ie.
does not run pm-suspend.