[arch-general] dmraid boot fail (grub errors 5 & 24) - follow up

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Nov 9 19:25:00 CET 2010

Guys,

    As a follow up, the post to kernel.org did not elicit any response. The
folks at dm-devel suggested it may be a grub bug. So that leave me with two more
avenues to try (1) the grub list, and (2) lilo test.

    I have also kept a running summary of the problem and input from the various
lists and I've made it available here:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/Archlinux/bugs/dmraid/dmraid-boot-fail-summary.txt

I'll continue to add to it to capture relevant info concerning the history of
this problem.

    The theory that the boot failure is a result of where initramfs gets placed
on the disk doesn't seem like it is the issue. It's not ruled out, but I've
created multiple initramfs images, installed the kernels in multiple different
orders and the boot failures don't change. 2.6.35.8 & 2.6.36-3 fail, but booting
2.6.35.7, LTS, SuSE, etc. work just fine.

    I'll update the post with additional info as it becomes available (hopefully
a solution). If anyone else has a stroke of genius, please let me know. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC