[arch-general] [rc.d/network] Integrate wpa_supplicant as wireless framework?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 16 17:23:06 CET 2010

Am 16.11.2010 16:33, schrieb Gerhard Brauer:
> Yes, also together with net-auto-wired it works fine. I'm only not
> sure if i use network-profile seperate configs or better go with
> wireless-wpa-config ("static" /e/wpa_supplicant.conf) cause i often
> use wpa_gui with option to update the config.

Updating the config in auto-wireless mode is not possible, but you can
temporarily add a network for the current session (using wpa_{cli,gui}).
If a connection to an unknown network is made, a default DHCP profile is
used.

> Also i will use different "actions" based on different DHCP server's
> and/or MAC addresses found by the active devices. But this seams
> also possible (without more work than one need for ifplugd as single
> tool...)

Support for identifying different wired networks would be a great
feature for netcfg. This is easy for wireless, as there is a SSID, but
not for wired. If you have ideas in this area, I'd be glad to see them.