[arch-general] [rc.d/network] Integrate wpa_supplicant as wireless framework?

Gerhard Brauer gerhard.brauer at web.de
Tue Nov 16 16:33:06 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 10:42:16PM +0100, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 09.11.2010 14:55, schrieb Gerhard Brauer:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Gerhard, it is nice to hear from you after such a long time :)
Yeah, no more R.I.P (rest in pieces), or:
"Auferstanden aus Ruinen..." ;-)

> > our current default wireless framework in base /e/rc.d/network
> > script is iwconfig (Open/WEP only). I like to integrate
> > wpa_supplicant as easy as we could use iwconfig ATM.
>
> All existing features should be ported to netcfg, and new features will
> only be added there. Again, lack of time prevents me from doing that too
> - but it's the plan.

Ok, i'm fine with. Have used netcfg last before ~2 years or so, it
is currently much better.
I will have a deeper look next weeks (on the bridging part, maybe i
could add VPN support on that easy way...)

> Back to the topic of wireless: netcfg's net-auto-wireless mode is my
> favorite and works perfectly for me.

Yes, also together with net-auto-wired it works fine. I'm only not
sure if i use network-profile seperate configs or better go with
wireless-wpa-config ("static" /e/wpa_supplicant.conf) cause i often
use wpa_gui with option to update the config.

Also i will use different "actions" based on different DHCP server's
and/or MAC addresses found by the active devices. But this seams
also possible (without more work than one need for ifplugd as single
tool...)

Regards
        Gerhard