[arch-general] Replace dcron once again?

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 03:57:38 CET 2010

On Fri 12 Nov 2010 10:26 +0900, Alex Matviychuk wrote:
> Thanks to this thread I decided to look at both dcron and fcron. First
> google result for dcron led me to this:
>
> This is from a Linux From Scratch readme here:
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/dcron.txt

Nice. The guy who wrote that article is an Archer and former TU.
It's also from 7 years ago. I'm sure a good deal has changed since.

> From my naive point of view, it seems like dcron is more in line with
> the Arch Way.

> anyone in our userbase that could take a look at the dcron code? As
> far as updates, I wouldn't expect a basic mature package to be updated
> more than once or twice a year. Update frequency alone says nothing
> about the quality of the code.

> My vote would be to focus efforts on fixing the bug and to keep Arch
> as small and lightweight as possible at its base. One of the best
> parts of Arch for me is that it starts out minimalistic and you can
> extend it to make it fit your needs. Trying to make our favorite
> packages defaults instead of minimal, stable, small packages, is a
> mistake imho.

The only problem is finding someone who can do the work to maintain
dcron. It's pretty damning to have a scheduler that can't schedule
properly installed by default - that's what people seem to be concerned
about mostly. I'd like to keep the simpler package too, but if it ain't
working chuck it.