[arch-general] Replace dcron once again?

Alex Matviychuk alexmat at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 05:10:12 CET 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 11:57, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:
> The only problem is finding someone who can do the work to maintain
> dcron. It's pretty damning to have a scheduler that can't schedule
> properly installed by default - that's what people seem to be concerned
> about mostly. I'd like to keep the simpler package too, but if it ain't
> working chuck it.

I agree, however, it sounds a bit odd to say that we should replace a
simple package with a more complicated one in the hope the more
complicated one will screw us over less going forward. We're just as
bound to the idiosyncrasies and bugs of fcron as dcron, but with the
added complexity of fcron.

For such a crucial system package it would seem wise to deal with the
devil that's easier to understand (in theory, I don't claim to
understand the internals of e.

Also, looking over the comments in the bugtracker
(https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18681), it seems this may not even be
a dcron issue.

I would urge further consideration before making a switch.

Cheers,
Alex