[arch-general] python3 thoughts

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Nov 24 08:35:03 CET 2010

On 11/17/2010 01:32 PM, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Alper KANAT <tunix at raptiye.org> wrote:
>>
>> That's nonsense.
>
> what is?  py3k is nothing more than the completion and/or significant
> advancement of several items that began in the 2.x tree; this is not
> new information.
>
>> It's correct that Arch is an advanced user distribution but
>> you can't expect everyone to workaround each py application. Not everyone
>> that use Arch are developers.
>
> the thread seems to be more focused on _developers_, and my response
> reflects this sentiment.
>
> i wouldn't expect any user to fix <insert> application, even myself.
> what i would expect however, is that they can figure out how to run it
> under python2.
>
> C Anthony

C Anthony,

	That does seem to be where some of us are stuck... I can change the
#!/usr/bin/python to #!/usr/bin/python2 no sweat, but then when the apps throw
further module errors, that is where I get stuck. For example in
/usr/share/createrepo/genpkgmetadata.py, running the script with python2 as the
executable results in the following error:

01:32 nirvana:/home/backup/rpms> sudo ./data/updt-sign-repo.sh openSUSE_11.0/
        sqlite metadata tables found --> updating

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/createrepo/genpkgmetadata.py", line 29, in <module>
    import createrepo
ImportError: No module named createrepo

	So for some reason the change has caused python2 to lose all its modules and I
know not how to make the find them again :(

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC