[arch-general] [signoff] kernel 2.6.36.1-3

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Fri Nov 26 11:29:26 CET 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 18:36 -0600, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Tobias,
>
> 	You'da Man! kernel26 2.6.36.1-3 boot FINE on that whacky MSI based box. I don't
> know if you know what changed, but if so, I'm dying to find out. After running
> it by the Redhat dmraid (dm-devel) list, the kernel.org list, all I got back
> were the ideas I passed on here, but no real answers....
>
> 	I updated my primary box (Tyan based with nv dmraid) that had shown the the
> weird drive initialization that caused the random read/write head excursions
> that happened if the box didn't boot just right -- and it booted perfectly,
> first try with kernel26 2.6.36.1-3. So I decided to give the MSI based box a
> try. It too -- booted just fine!

For that boot problem, you really should try grub2 instead of grub. Last
week we had a bug on the bugtracker that looked like your bug, but with
a regular installation with / on ext4. Grub couldn't boot it with the
same error message as you're facing now and then. After switching to
grub2, things worked fine.
I think grub is bugged somehow with its ext3/ext4 drivers, causing
issues like yours. With your current grub installation, every kernel
update could result in a surprise.