[arch-general] RPM Question

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Sat Oct 2 21:10:30 EDT 2010

On 10/2/2010 7:41 PM, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
> It works on all the major distros but fails to install
> on Arch due to an RPM dependency. Their install script just fails saying
> it can't find rpm. The script contains much ugliness and is McAfee
> proprietary, so I doubt hacking it will be productive.
>
> So the question is: can Arch be configured/tricked into an rpm install?

Does their installer actually require use rpm to install, or just wants
rpm to be there? Most distros allow you to install rpm, Arch is no
different except it is in aur:

aur/rpm 5.2.1-1 (153)
     The RedHat Package Manager.  Don't use it instead of Arch's 'pacman'.

If it actually uses rpm for the process, this is probably not the
solution. Two package managers at once is not a good thing.