[arch-general] RPM Question

Lew Wolfgang wolfgang at sweet-haven.com
Sun Oct 3 12:00:08 EDT 2010

  On 10/02/2010 06:10 PM, Steven Susbauer wrote:
> On 10/2/2010 7:41 PM, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
>> It works on all the major distros but fails to install
>> on Arch due to an RPM dependency. Their install script just fails saying
>> it can't find rpm. The script contains much ugliness and is McAfee
>> proprietary, so I doubt hacking it will be productive.
>>
>> So the question is: can Arch be configured/tricked into an rpm install?
>
> Does their installer actually require use rpm to install, or just wants rpm to be
> there? Most distros allow you to install rpm, Arch is no different except it is in
> aur:
>
> aur/rpm 5.2.1-1 (153)
>     The RedHat Package Manager.  Don't use it instead of Arch's 'pacman'.
>
> If it actually uses rpm for the process, this is probably not the solution. Two
> package managers at once is not a good thing.

I spent some time last night pulling the .sh file apart.  It's a script that unzips a
binary that unpacks two rpm files (9-MB), one 32-bit ELF program (8.9-MB), two
cryptographic keys and an xml file.  The script then calls rpm to install the two rpm
files, which contain tons of 32-bit system libraries.  These libraries have the same
names as regular system libs, like libc, libm, libresolv and libcrypt.  This all
makes me very nervous!  Arch not using rpm may be a blessing in disguise, I'm going
to see if I can get a waiver to not install this McAfee root-kit.

Thanks for the help,
Lew