[arch-general] no python3 package?

Angus charmender at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 00:59:14 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 07/10/10 14:40, Angus wrote:
>>
>> I'm glad Arch did the python3 transition and I agree with python3
>> being the default version (i.e. having 'python' symlink to
>> 'python3.x').
>>
>> But what's the reason for no longer having a package named 'python3'
>> with a symlink to 'python3.x'? It would make (/have made) the
>> transition a little easier, no? Any harm done in providing it?
>>

> I have no idea what you are talking about...
>
>> pacman -Ss python3
> testing/python 3.1.2-2 [installed]
>    Next generation of the python high-level scripting language
> community/python3 3.1.2-4
>    Next generation of the python high-level scripting language
>
> Note that testing/python will replace the community/python3 once it moves to
> [extra].
>
> Allan

Argh... sorry for not checking things properly first...

It's just that when I tried to update my packages (includer AUR) I saw this:

:: Replace python3 with testing/python? [Y/n]
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: pyqt-py3and2: requires python3>=3.1
:: sip-py3and2: requires python3>=3.1

...and just assumed that meant 'python3' was set to disappear.

Ang