[arch-general] no python3 package?

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Oct 7 00:49:07 EDT 2010

On 07/10/10 14:40, Angus wrote:
> I'm glad Arch did the python3 transition and I agree with python3
> being the default version (i.e. having 'python' symlink to
> 'python3.x').
>
> But what's the reason for no longer having a package named 'python3'
> with a symlink to 'python3.x'? It would make (/have made) the
> transition a little easier, no? Any harm done in providing it?

I have no idea what you are talking about...

 > pacman -Ss python3
testing/python 3.1.2-2 [installed]
     Next generation of the python high-level scripting language
community/python3 3.1.2-4
     Next generation of the python high-level scripting language

Note that testing/python will replace the community/python3 once it
moves to [extra].

Allan