[arch-general] Upgrading while using a package (WAS: Re: pacman -Syu -- then tons of kio and kbuildsycoca warnings. Bug or coincidence?)

diederick diederick at diederickdevries.net
Thu Oct 14 02:40:44 EDT 2010

On 10/13/2010 11:03 PM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:

> On 10/09/2010 12:57 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> Guys, just updated and got a slew of warning dumped back to konsole:

> Nothing strange to me at all:  you're upgrading qt while you're in KDE
> (which uses qt).  It's never a good idea to upgrade a package while it's
> being used.  If you're upgrading a daemon, shut down the daemon first;
> if you're upgrading qt, exit KDE first; if you're upgrading the kernel,
> udev, etc., drop to single user mode first.

I didn't know that, nor did I read that somewhere on the wiki. Why is
this? Aren't programs copied to memory (i.e. loaded) before being
used?
In that case, isn't the upgraded version left alone until it is loaded
the next time the program is started? Where can I find more on this?

Thanks,
Diederick

--
http://www.diederickdevries.net/