[arch-general] Upgrading while using a package (WAS: Re: pacman -Syu -- then tons of kio and kbuildsycoca warnings. Bug or coincidence?)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Oct 14 16:51:41 EDT 2010

On 10/14/2010 01:40 AM, diederick wrote:
>> On 10/09/2010 12:57 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>>> Guys, just updated and got a slew of warning dumped back to konsole:
>
>> Nothing strange to me at all:  you're upgrading qt while you're in KDE
>> (which uses qt).  It's never a good idea to upgrade a package while it's
>> being used.  If you're upgrading a daemon, shut down the daemon first;
>> if you're upgrading qt, exit KDE first; if you're upgrading the kernel,
>> udev, etc., drop to single user mode first.

Just to add a little food for thought to the issue. In my original post, the
host being updated is 'nirvana' which is my primary home server. All updates are
done via ssh from another laptop.

What occurred was -- kde4.5.2 was evidently left running on the server. What
makes the kio and kbuildsycoca output remarkable at all is that this is the
first time since Apr. '09 with Arch in the 50-100 updates I've done, and the
first time since 1999 with Mandrake and then SuSE that I have ever had any
spurious kio or kbuildsycoca output during an update (pacman -Syu, YaST, zypper,
rpmdrake, etc.) regardless of which desktop was running. I have updated Qt from
withing kde/kde4 many times, so it was a real curiosity to me. I may have just
been lucky all these times.

I'll add DR's advise to my list of 'oops - can't do that with kde4' -- tips. I'm
sure the issue isn't a pacman or Arch issue, the issue is most likely that kde4
still has the debug flag set in everything so it writes everything to stderr on
any change, update, rebuild whatever where stable desktops just write errors to
stderr.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC