[arch-general] GDM Locked

karl captainhaggy at i2pmail.org
Tue Oct 19 05:15:29 EDT 2010

On 06:51 Tue 19 Oct     , Guillermo Leira wrote:
> > After the last Pacman -Syu, I can't login with gdm. As soon as I clikc on my
> > username, the system seems to freeze... Although not completely: I can ping
> > from other computer, but I can't ssh.
> >
> > Before I click on the username, the "switch off" icon at the right down corner
> > works. Once I click on the username, nothing else works, and I neither can
> > ctrl-alt-F1 to the console...
> >
> > Any suggestions/questions?
>
> I have removed GDM and installed SLIM. Now I can login, but the screen shows nothing... And if I try to CTRL-ALT-F1 to the console, the system locks again. It is not a GDM problem.
>
> If I run startx from the command line, X starts.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Guillermo

The behaviour that switching to the console freezes the output happens normaly, when kernel mode settings aren't activated / functioning / vesa instead of
the nouveau-driver (radeon, intel, whatever) is used.
Have a look ...

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KMS
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau

Kind regards,