[arch-general] GDM Locked - is Gnome locked

Guillermo Leira gleira at gleira.com
Sat Oct 30 10:03:10 EDT 2010

> > on my
> > ping

> > corner
> > can

> > > I have removed GDM and installed SLIM. Now I can login, but the screen
> > shows nothing... And if I try to CTRL-ALT-F1 to the console, the system
> > locks again. It is not a GDM problem.
> > >
> > > If I run startx from the command line, X starts.
> > >
> > > Any advice?
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > >
> > > Guillermo
> > >

> > Hi Guillermo,
> >
> > try and make yourself a new user. If that one can work with the X-part of
> > your system - then some rights in your local $HOME directory are broken
> > (.xinitrc
> > would be a candidate for this kind of weird behaviour, but also
> > .ICEauthority or .Xauthority).
> > If of cause the new user account does have the same problems, your /etx/X11
> > or worse might have wrong user rights.
> > Have also a look i a file called .xerrors, .xsession-errors  - or something
> > like that (can't remember the correct name anymore), there could be some
> > hints in
> > it, if it does exist, what your problem is.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Karl
> >

> When you run Slim, you also get a /var/log/slim.log to look at.

I have tried to make a new user, but it has the same problem. I have started X as root, and works. Then I installed xfce, and it hangs as well. Twm runs fine for all users. Gnome and xfce hang even for root.

The .xsession-errors file is not updated. It is dated a couple of months ago...

I have created an .xinitrc for root, and it also gets locked when I select gnome or xfce.

As the system gets completely locked, I have to power cycle it, and the Xorg log files have 0 bytes when I reboot...

I checked KMS. I included intel_agp and i915 in mkinitcpio.conf, but it seems to be unrelated to the problem, as twm works.

Help... :-(

I don't even know what to look for. And I wouldn't like to reinstall the system (that would be too easy).

Best Regards,

Guillermo Leira