[arch-general] Upgrading while using a package (WAS: Re: pacman -Syu -- then tons of kio and kbuildsycoca warnings. Bug or coincidence?)

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Tue Oct 19 08:35:26 EDT 2010

It would appear that on Oct 14, Thomas Bächler did say:

> My recommendations:
> 1) If you are upgrading your desktop environment, exit your session,
> quit your login manager and upgrade from the text console. I advise to
> run pacman -Sywu from the desktop and when the download finishes, run
> pacman -Su from the text console.

OK, pardon my intrusion, but NOW I'm curious...

I can understand the advantage of running "pacman -Su" from a text console (By
which I don't mean using <ctrl>+<alt>+<F[1-6]> while the gui is still running.).
It just makes sense, especially when pacman is expressly not a gui app. I can
also understand that it might be better to run "pacman -Sywu" first as a
separate operation. But why run the latter from the gui???

> 2) Put all kernel-related packages on --ignore until you are planning to
> reboot. If you are not going to reboot, a kernel update will have no
> effect anyway.

As a general rule I always reboot after any "pacman -Su" operation. If I
wasn't prepared to reboot, I wouldn't upgrade my system.