[arch-general] Python 3 Rationale?

Hilton Medeiros medeiros.hilton at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 09:52:41 EDT 2010

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 04:31:17 +0000 (UTC)
Mithrandir <mithrandiragain at lavabit.com> wrote:

> Max Countryman <maxc <at> me.com> writes:
>

> > > I failed to find a reference, but I seem to remember the Python
> > > team
> deciding at some point that they
> > intended to keep the name "python" for the Python 2.X binaries
> > perpetually,
> and require Python 3.X to be
> > invoked as "python3". Arch might be alone in making this change, and
> inconsistent with other Python distributions.
> > > EDIT: I can't find a conclusive decision but here is one
> > > discussion on the
> subject:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2008-February/0...
> >
> > There is any interesting conversation taking place over at Hacker
> > News:
> http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1808840
> >

> Ha ha! We posted at virtually the same time! (Or not...) :D

HackerNews, Slashdot, ...:
- Someone post an announcement with 10 lines;
- They read it (or not) and think that that is all the information
  behind the story;
- They furiously start typing the first thing that pops in their mind;
- By the time you (Mithrandir, in this case) posted a more in-depth
  post, the majority had already run to the next news.

Also, the... bitching there is completely nonsense. I can't believe
they know Linux or even python well enough judging by what they say
about developing _difficulties_ because of this move.

AFAIK, with python is easy as hell to build a local/virtual environment
for any python version... I don't get it. Anyway, nothing to see there
for this post, sadly.

Congratulations to Allan, devs and tus for the move!

Cheers,
Hilton