[arch-general] Python 3 Rationale?

Mithrandir mithrandiragain at lavabit.com
Wed Oct 20 17:08:56 EDT 2010

On 10/20/2010 06:52 AM, Hilton Medeiros wrote:

> HackerNews, Slashdot, ...:
> - Someone post an announcement with 10 lines;
> - They read it (or not) and think that that is all the information
>    behind the story;
> - They furiously start typing the first thing that pops in their mind;

Often preceded by tl;dr.

> - By the time you (Mithrandir, in this case) posted a more in-depth
>    post, the majority had already run to the next news.
>
> Also, the... bitching there is completely nonsense. I can't believe
> they know Linux or even python well enough judging by what they say
> about developing _difficulties_ because of this move.

Amen to that. It's almost worse than comp.os.linux.advocacy, which gets
mostly spam from Wintrolls and Mac fanboys. Very few GNU/Linux users try
and take them on there (and with good reason.)

Only reason I go there (HackerNews, Slashdot) is to read what's new in
the news, and make a comment or two. Arguing with them does diddly-squat. :(

> AFAIK, with python is easy as hell to build a local/virtual environment
> for any python version... I don't get it. Anyway, nothing to see there
> for this post, sadly.

Well, *some* programs that worked with Python 2, don't work very well/at
all with Python 3. But yeah, it's not usually too difficult to fix it.

Regards.