[arch-general] Spell Checking in Emacs

Rthoreau r7h0re4 at att.net
Thu Oct 21 10:30:53 EDT 2010

Frédéric Perrin <frederic.perrin at resel.fr> writes:

> Le mercredi 20 à 22:47, Rthoreau a écrit :
>> What would be ideal is to get Hunspell working if you follow the
>> emacswiki I still do not have a valid Hunspell working on two operating
>> systems.  One being Arch, the other OpenIndiana so I had to resort back
>> to aspell for both.
>
> Is the problem that you are sharing you .emacs between the two OSs, but
> Hunspell is available on only one? In that case, what about:
>
> (if (string-match "-ARCH" operating-system-release)
>      (use hunspell)
>   (fallback to aspell))
>
> Or:
>
> (if (executable-find "hunspell")
>      (use hunspell...)
>   (fallback to aspell))

Here is the link I was referring too, I actually have two spell checkers
one is Hunspell the other is Aspell. Hunspell works great on the command
line but is still borked in emacs.

Of course I get a similar problem in Arch, but with function unfound if
I copy the examples out of the emacswiki my .emacs file will not even
run due to errors, not to mention even if it is tweaked to my
configuration.

http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=107384

If you try to spell check a word by using "M-x ispell-word", you get the error message "ispell-get-word: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil". "M-x ispell-buffer" produces

Spell checking test-buffer using hunspell with en-US dictionary...
Spell-checking using hunspell with en-US dictionary done
ispell-get-line: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

So if anyone has a valid .emacs hunspell under Arch let me know as of
yet I have no idea as to why Hunspell won't work.  That is why I use
Aspell at the moment.

Rthoreau