[arch-general] Screen goes black after installing latest nvidia driver

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Mon Oct 25 19:15:00 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 15:24, Ionuț Bîru <ibiru at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 10/25/2010 07:04 PM, Attila wrote:
>>
>> At Montag, 25. Oktober 2010 15:51 Ionuț Bîru wrote:
>>
>>> congrats, you found a bug in nvidia driver. I've saw a lot of users
>>> having this issue on nvidia forum but not a single reply from nvidia
>>> devs.
>>
>> I don't have this problem so saying it is "only" a bug of the driver
>> sounds too
>> easy for me. Perhaps it would be better if people with this problem
>> compare
>> their configurations.
>>

> maybe you misunderstood me or i suck at explanations. Not all cards are
> affected and even the same chipsets. In some situations, no idea what are
> those, the new nvidia driver doesn't work.
>
> for example there is one guy with sony vaio laptop in the forum which has
> 8400 GT and has black screen. Others that have 84000 GT doesn't have this
> issue.
>
>>> take a look yourself:
>>> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14
>>
>> And where is one of this reports? Sorry, but posting no url would be
>> better in
>> this case.-)
>>

> i'm too lazy to search for black screen now but is not on the front page as
> this issue was reported since the beta
>

> --
> Ionuț

I don't know if this is related or not. I'm not having any problems
with desktop cards and the latest drivers, but I've had problems with
integrated graphics on both laptops and desktops. Seems some laptop
manufacturers tweak the video drivers and only their drivers will work
you can't install the drivers from nVidia or ATI. I've also had
integrated video on a desktop board, IICR it was an nforce4, that the
nVidia drivers (the recommended drivers) wouldn't recognize at all.
After 3 days of trying to correct the problem, I finally gave up on
the integrated graphics and purchased and add on card.

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but thought it might give you
somewhere else to look for the problem.

Myra