[arch-general] New nvidia driver - video mode not recognized - remove vga= from kernel line?

Dan Vrátil vratil at progdansoft.com
Thu Oct 28 05:38:03 EDT 2010

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 21:36:52 -0500, "David C. Rankin"
<drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> 	To add to the nvidia issues, after update to the latest driver (nvidia
> 260.19.12-1) the machine stops during boot due to (Invalid video mode, press
> enter to see list....)
>
> 	Pressing enter then lists the available modes. However, when I enter
> one of the
> listed modes, it is rejected and I get prompted again with the (Invalid video
> mode, press enter to see list....).
>
> 	I don't know whether this is a bug, a KMS thing, or what, but I have
> never had
> any problems passing vga=0x31a on the kernel line with the nvidia
> driver before.
> (I know with ATI, KMS early is recommended, and no vga= on the kernel line)
>
> 	Is anybody else seeing this? Should I just remove the vga= line?
>
> 	After letting the (Invalid video mode, press enter to see list....) prompt
> time-out, it all continues fine and the nvidia driver loads without
> issue. What
> say the experts?

Hello David,

this cannot be related to nvidia drivers because of two things: 1) the
drivers are loaded after the kernel boots and 2) the proprietary nvidia
drivers do not support KMS (and according to nvidia they are not going
too in near future).

Make sure, you have nouveau blacklisted
(/etc/modprobe.d/nouveau_blacklist.conf) because you don't need it when
you use the proprietary drivers and last time I tested it, it had
problems with the vga boot option.

Dan

Dan Vrátil
vratil at progdansoft.com
Tel: +4202 732 326 870
Jabber: progdan at jabber.cz

Tento email neobsahuje žádné viry, protože odesílatel nepoužívá
Windows. /
This email does not contain any viruses because the sender does not use
Windows.