[arch-general] New nvidia driver - video mode not recognized - remove vga= from kernel line?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Oct 28 19:03:09 EDT 2010

On 10/28/2010 04:38 AM, Dan Vrátil wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> this cannot be related to nvidia drivers because of two things: 1) the
> drivers are loaded after the kernel boots and 2) the proprietary nvidia
> drivers do not support KMS (and according to nvidia they are not going
> too in near future).
>
> Make sure, you have nouveau blacklisted
> (/etc/modprobe.d/nouveau_blacklist.conf) because you don't need it when
> you use the proprietary drivers and last time I tested it, it had
> problems with the vga boot option.
>
> Dan

Thank you Heika, Attila, Dan,

	The mystery still remains. I didn't do it, but noveau was already blacklisted
on my box:

[17:32 archangel:/etc/modprobe.d] # l
total 32
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096 Oct 19 19:34 .
drwxr-xr-x 96 root root 12288 Oct 28 00:49 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   704 Jun 28 08:45 framebuffer_blacklist.conf
-rw-r--r--  1 root root    55 Jun  7  2009 modprobe.conf
-rw-r--r--  1 root root    18 Oct 18 09:28 nouveau_blacklist.conf
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   196 Sep 18 17:58 usb-load-ehci-first.conf
[17:32 archangel:/etc/modprobe.d] # cat nouveau_blacklist.conf
blacklist nouveau

	Also, on the (press enter or scan issue), I'm sure you are 100% correct Heiko,
but no matter whether I press enter or issue scan with this 8800GT, the list of
modes returned is the same. Also, both enter or scan take the same amount of
time to complete -- at least on this box.

	If the proprietary driver doesn't support KMS and isn't going to for a while,
then I wonder what changed to make my normal kernel line (that I've used for
years) suddenly start causing the invalid mode error? The kernel line is:

kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/mapper/nvidia_baaccajap5 ro vga=0x31a

	As a test, I booted LTS with the vga=0x31a and it booted fine and into the
correct framebuffer. So this is looking more and more kernel related.

	I have also booted Arch without vga= in the kernel line and I do NOT get the
invalid mode prompt, but then I'm left with a 640x480 framebuffer. That looks
terrible on a 23" display.

	Oddly, when I boot with vga= and get the error, somehow after the timeout, I
get the right framebuffer.

	I'm stumped. Any idea on "what could have changed?" that could be causing the
mode error?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC