[arch-general] nfs4: access denied by server while mounting....

Ananda Samaddar ananda at samaddar.co.uk
Mon Sep 13 09:50:06 EDT 2010

I'm tearing my hair out over this one.  I'm trying to export some
directories using nfs.  I've read the Arch Wiki and even been on the
IRC channel but I can't fix this bloody problem.  I have a desktop and
a laptop both running Arch.  The desktop is the server and the laptop
the client. I'm using MAC-DHCP address reservation so the desktop has
a static ip of 192.168.1.3 and the laptop 192.168.1.4. Here are the
relevant configs:

SERVER

/etc/exports:

/home/ananda/ 192.168.1.4(ro,fsid=0,no_subtree_check,async,nohide)
/home/ananda/Music 192.168.1.4(ro,no_subtree_check,async,nohide)

/etc/hosts.allow:

nfsd: 192.168.1.4
rpcbind: 192.168.1.4
mountd: 192.168.1.4

I then start, rpcbind, nfs-common and nfs-server in order on the sever.

CLIENT

/etc/hosts.allow:

rpcbind: 192.168.1.3

I then start rpcbind and nfs-common in that order on the client.

There are no firewalls or iptables rules on the desktop and laptop as
I'm behind a NAT and I'm lazy.  The domain names in /etc/idmapd.conf
are identical on both client and server too.

When I try the command:

mount -t nfs4 192.168.1.3:/home/ananda /mnt/shares

I get the error message:

mount.nfs4: access denied by server while mounting
192.168.1.3:/home/ananda

The error is the same if I try nfs as the type.  I've also run
showmount on the client and the server at 192.168.1.3 shows the correct
exports.

I have no idea what's wrong.  I've check and double checked
everything.  Any help will be appreciated.

thanks,

Ananda