[arch-general] 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Sep 14 12:47:16 EDT 2010

On 09/14/2010 08:13 AM, Fess wrote:
> err.. what?
> Don't you think, that mirrorsync in crontab is MUCH more easier way to get new packages, huh?
> I'm using local mirror for 3 years and i have no idea why i shoulnd't use it know.

With commercial bandwidth limited to 1M down, I worry about the extra 3-4G of
download. That is 9 hours of the connection pegged at 135K that I don't need to
use. Yes mirrorsync is easier, but it also increases the load on the Arch
mirrors when multiplied by 100's/1000's of people using it. My approach
downloads only the needed packages. A bit more work - yes, but it helps the
community be reducing demand on resources :)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC