[arch-general] 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

Fess killall_humans at lavabit.com
Tue Sep 14 13:08:43 EDT 2010

On 11:47 Tue 14 Sep , David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 09/14/2010 08:13 AM, Fess wrote:
>> err.. what?
>> Don't you think, that mirrorsync in crontab is MUCH more easier way to get new packages, huh?
>> I'm using local mirror for 3 years and i have no idea why i shoulnd't use it know.
>
> With commercial bandwidth limited to 1M down, I worry about the extra
> 3-4G of download. That is 9 hours of the connection pegged at 135K that I
> don't need to use. Yes mirrorsync is easier, but it also increases the
> load on the Arch mirrors when multiplied by 100's/1000's of people using
> it. My approach downloads only the needed packages. A bit more work -
> yes, but it helps the community be reducing demand on resources :)
>
> --
> David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
> Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
> 510 Ochiltree Street
> Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
> Telephone: (936) 715-9333
> Facsimile: (936) 715-9339
> www.rankinlawfirm.com

1)Have you heard about 3rd party mirrors?
2)People who use gnome must die. No, really - too much traffic on servers.
3)With local mirror you have fast internet, i think.

Wiki done by community. Some guys think, that local mirrors are cool - i agree with them.
Why should we stop people from being cool?