[arch-general] 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

Nathan Wayde disposaboy at konnichi.com
Tue Sep 14 15:27:59 EDT 2010

On 14/09/10 19:45, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Fess<killall_humans at lavabit.com>  wrote:
>> I still don't get it.. You have small pipe. But a lot of people have bigger. So - if you can't use - do not use it.
>> Why EVERYONE shouldn't use it?
>
> it really is much more appropriate for everyone involved if you just
> use a shared cache, and respectably consider the truth that if you're
> not a seed, you're a leech.  you say gnome=too much traffic, then wtf
> would you want to sync:

> every single time they are updated, when you're not even going to use
> it 90% of it?  _that_ sounds like "too much traffic" to me.
>
> use what you need; no more, no less.  anything else is greedy and wasteful.
>
> C Anthony

here's what I'd(and I imagine most others who know about sharing the
cache) use a local mirror for:

to be able to sync all other systems from it. plain and simple. if my
systems don't have internet connection or something like that then i
simply get the packages from the master,
cache sharing doesn't and cannot solve that problem at all, that's a fact.

now to the bandwidth issue. it's obviously bogus, because:

1) they assume everyone/(lots of people) is going to create a local mirror.
2) they assume that they're all going to sync from the same server.
3) they assume this extra bandwidth waste actually causes a problem for
all the mirrors - i.e that there's only 1 mirror.

now, if my assumptions are wrong thus leading to false conclusions then
please correct me, but so far all I've heard is whining about local
mirror causing problems for the mirrors but nothing about what these
problems actually are, in the meantime the original wiki was deemed bad
with not much of a valid reason and nothing being done to further
educate us the users.

You can probably tell that I'm annoyed by this and the simple fact is
that ARM sync script was based off the script on that wiki, it's not the
same as I changed a lot of options to cater to my own needs but as have
been said the script was bad, no-one is telling us what was bad about it
and these alternative methods are wholly inadequate at best.