[arch-general] community/e-svn 51937-1 BROKEN? themes fail screen resolution fail etc...

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Wed Sep 15 04:19:15 EDT 2010

I just did a "pacman -Syu" And unfortunately I let it upgrade e17.
according to "pacman -Ss enlightenment" I now have:
community/e-svn 51937-1 (e17-svn) [installed]

e17 no longer cooperates with personal themes
I can select them, it remembers which theme is selected. But none of them
have any effect on the appearance which is locked in on the default theme
which is so dark that I can't even read the clock gadget And unlike my
chosen theme there is no visible indication of which "button" will
effectively be pushed if I press enter. (I'm a keyboard man mostly because
I can use the keyboard for hours and hours, but 5 minutes of wrestling with
the mouse is enough to cause my hands to start going numb...) So I NEED a
theme that highlights the button currently in focus to use e17 effectively.

It will let me change the screen resolution to one where I can read text
without a microscope, But once I do I'm unable to logout cleanly.
(It locks up and fails to save the configuration changes) While it's so
locked up I can use <ctrl>+<alt>+<F2> to switch to another tty where I
can log in and do a "ps -a" to see enlightenment is "running" But it
doesn't respond to "killall enlightenment"... (Since I'm a startx user I can
switch to tty1 {where I ran startx} and kill the X server with <ctrl>+C)

I'm not really surprised (since it isn't listening to the theme) that my
gadget and shelf settings were forgotten. It did let me put them back.
(even if the clock is now useless) But at each and every change it
presented me with an error that there could be only one system tray???
What that had to do with putting the sound mixer gadget back on the
shelf I don't have a clue...

If it matters I'm using an HP Pavilion a1410n with Amd 64 Athlon processors
And an integrated Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE which didn't like the open source
nouveau driver at all. So I'm using a pacman supplied proprietary Nvidia
driver.

I'm just glad that I've also got e16 installed or I'd really be crying in
my beer. I don't suppose it's possible to roll back to the previous version
of e17?

Is anybody else having a problem with community/e-svn 51937-1 (e17-svn)?
Or is it just me? Any suggestions would be welcome... But I already tried
moving my ~/.e directory and letting e17 start with a fresh user profile.
But it still wouldn't let me save my changes if they included screen
resolution changes.