[arch-general] 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

Steve Holmes steve.holmes88 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 19:16:30 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 09:54:16PM +0200, Stefan Erik Wilkens wrote:
> > On 16/09/10 19:39, Matthew Gyurgyik wrote:
> > you don't get to tell anyone how to use their bandwidth.
>
> But can we at least say that grabbing packages without using them is
> wasting mirror bandwidth, and thus not something we want. In fact,
> something that should be frowned upon?

It sounds like this Nathan fella doesn't grasp the concept that he
pays for his own bandwidth and the mirror operator has to pay for the
bandwidth used by the mirror server.  Sure Nathan can squander his
bandwidth however he wants but the mirror operators have to spread
their bandwidth around for all of us to get our normal updates and of
course, the cost has to be shouldered by someone.

Now, I favor being able to sync up a whole mirror for local use if you
are a network admin or local distributer who needs to do installs and
doesn't have a network connection available to do the net installs.
Bur for the rest of us, I like the original solution posted at the top
of this thread for machines with like architecture and similar package
configurations. Thanks again, David for those scripts.