[arch-general] 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 19:21:11 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 16:16 -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 09:54:16PM +0200, Stefan Erik Wilkens wrote:
> > > On 16/09/10 19:39, Matthew Gyurgyik wrote:
> > > you don't get to tell anyone how to use their bandwidth.
> >
> > But can we at least say that grabbing packages without using them is
> > wasting mirror bandwidth, and thus not something we want. In fact,
> > something that should be frowned upon?
>
> It sounds like this Nathan fella doesn't grasp the concept that he
> pays for his own bandwidth and the mirror operator has to pay for the
> bandwidth used by the mirror server.  Sure Nathan can squander his
> bandwidth however he wants but the mirror operators have to spread
> their bandwidth around for all of us to get our normal updates and of
> course, the cost has to be shouldered by someone.

While my initial reaction to the thread was to do exactly this (point
out that Nathan does not seem to understand that mirrors have to pay for
bandwidth as well, and also that the linked article was obviously not
read) I think its a bit out-of-line to dismiss him as this 'Nathan
fella'. Where I come from such terms would only be used on a brat or
delinquent, slightly derogatory in my opinion.

Not a comment on the CONTENT but on the STYLE =).