[arch-general] 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

Nathan Wayde disposaboy at konnichi.com
Thu Sep 16 23:54:28 EDT 2010

On 17/09/10 00:21, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:

>>> But can we at least say that grabbing packages without using them is
>>> wasting mirror bandwidth, and thus not something we want. In fact,
>>> something that should be frowned upon?
>>
>> It sounds like this Nathan fella doesn't grasp the concept that he
>> pays for his own bandwidth and the mirror operator has to pay for the
>> bandwidth used by the mirror server.  Sure Nathan can squander his
>> bandwidth however he wants but the mirror operators have to spread
>> their bandwidth around for all of us to get our normal updates and of
>> course, the cost has to be shouldered by someone.
>
> While my initial reaction to the thread was to do exactly this (point
> out that Nathan does not seem to understand that mirrors have to pay for
> bandwidth as well, and also that the linked article was obviously not
> read) I think its a bit out-of-line to dismiss him as this 'Nathan
> fella'. Where I come from such terms would only be used on a brat or
> delinquent, slightly derogatory in my opinion.
>
> Not a comment on the CONTENT but on the STYLE =).

like I said, I'd deleted my reply but here I'll state it again...

I already run a mirror for other purposes, if the Tier-1 has a problem
with that then they should block arm.konnichi.com .

since I already run that for other purposes I sync from arm.konnichi.com
- in-case you didn't realise I own it. I'm a idiot, that much is no
secret, so maybe someone can enlighten me... like I said already, I
already run a mirror for other purposes, if I want to waste the
bandwidth of my mirror that's my business because I already paid for it,
but the important question is the one that's always ignored in favour of
petty politics and that is: I want to know specifically what was wrong
with that script so I as a mirror operator can take the necessary
measures to make sure I'm not abusing the Tier-1 from which I sync.